Saturday, 14 December 2013

Forget about the price tag

Hello all,
Today I went into K-mart for the first time, and the absurdly low prices made me realise that I never wanted to go there again, because I know how most companies manage to get their prices that low, and I couldn't support that. Here's why: 
(this is not a reflection on K-mart, I have no idea where they source their products, but their prices reminded me of the way many companies do business)
They say that there are two sides to every story. This is true, not just for incidents, but also for purchases. 

There is your side of the story. The shopping process; searching for the best deal through price comparison. How you want or need this product and how it will improve your life. The fun times you have with friends searching for what you want/need. Whether this product is right for you, is it safe and can you afford it.

And then there is the other side of the story. The person who made it, the person who packaged it, the person who shipped it, the person who sold it to you. Was making that product the best deal for them, or was their only choice to be paid next to nothing. Did they need that small sum of money so badly they were willing to work in appalling conditions to get it, did they want for better working conditions, better pay? Did make that product improve their life as buying it will improve yours? Was that the right choice, was that the safe choice for them?

There are two sides to every purchase. The story until the product is sold, and the story after. We so often selfishly only think of the second half of the story. If you look at both sides of the story, the purchase can benefit both those who made it and those who bought it. So, selfish or selfless?



6 comments:

  1. Very good points. Too often we don't stop and think about the conditions for those who make all these items for sale so cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the most important thing is to remember :)

      Delete
  2. On my way over to Europe for my honeymoon just last week we stopped over in Hong Kong and in their airport they were advertising a website which you can view webcams and reviews of these factories that make "made in China" stuff. I thought that was quite good for their workers cause they would have to up the anti on how they treat their staff but at the same time it means good factories are rare and something to be advertising

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess it would be hard to know how honest the company was being, even then, but it is certainly a step in the right direction! :)

      Delete
  3. Such a sad truth you have raised. One I have definitely forgotten this holiday season. Thank you for sharing. I love your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I love your blog too, your photography is truly stunning. :)

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...