Saturday, 22 March 2014

Fortune Teller - How to

Hello!
So you know in the days of primary school when you made fortune tellers in class and it was such a novelty? You would go up to your friend and say, pick a colour. Now, pick a number. And then you would tell them their future, i.e. that they will have 14 children, or they will kiss a boy tomorrow or something else equally frightening to a 10 year old.
I was fiddling around with a piece of paper the other day and remembered how to make this and thought, wouldn't it to be cool to change things up a bit? So here is how to make the grown-up fortune teller.
1. Begin with a square piece of paper and a pen.
2. Fold the paper in half to make a rectangle both ways and then diagonally both ways, and return it to flat.

3. Turn the white side (or pick a side if the paper is one colour) to face you. Fold each corner into the centre.

4. Now turn the paper up the other way and once again fold each corner into the centre.

5. Write in your words of choice! I did weather, then numbers, then inspirational quotes.
6. Turn it so that the side you wrote the weather on is facing up and put your index finger and thumb from each hand under each flap and you're set!
7. Ask your friend to pick a type of weather, then fold it the same number of times there are letter in the word, then ask them to pick a number that they can see, and fold it that many times, then ask them to pick another number, unfold the flap and inspire them with your inspirational quote!
Ok, so I was going to make this into a gif, but that proved beyond me, so here is this instead!


(please excuse my shaky hands)
ps. I know it may seem confusing, I am kind of relying on you having done this in primary school, but if you have any questions, just ask.
 photo emma_zpsa25ad91c.png

17 comments:

  1. Awesome awesome post! And the video tops it off perfectly. I do remember these from school, gosh we use to make them all the time. Time for a revival I think?!
    I featured this post over at Pea Soup - A New Zealand Blogging Community.

    Hayleigh xx
    www.peasoupnz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hayleigh, a revival would be awesome!!

      Delete
  2. These are a blast from the past. Although good things never go out of style as my boys have brought them home from school, just like I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny what is timeless, I would never have thought it to be these!

      Delete
  3. Emma this was just like a trip down memory lane! I've done this loads of times before from primary to elementary and even up to high school! LOL. Sometimes it will be a list of consequences or a list of crushes who you might end up with. I wish kids nowadays still knew how to have fun with simple stuff like a piece of pen and paper and not stick their noses into their phones for the entire day...

    Anne's Scribbles and Doodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you fortune tellers in the Philippines too?! I was kind-of just thinking they were a New Zealand thing. I wonder where else in the world they made their way to!

      Delete
    2. I thought we were the only ones who did it too! It's fun to know it's an international thing most people have done! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh this is so lovely. I used to love making these and predicting the future :)

    Cute video too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, you would not believe how long it took me to find music that suited it!

      Delete
  5. This is so cute! What a blast from the past!

    The video was really cool :)) I loved it.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they really take you back aye! Thank-you :)

      Delete
  6. I used to do these as a child, good memories :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember spending lunchtimes thinking of all the different things we could put in the middle!

      Delete
  7. Hahaha, my mum taught me how to do that when I was 7. I love that you reminded me the way!

    Your blog is amazing!
    I'd be very happy to see you in my blog sometime too.

    xoxo,
    Froso
    Style Nirvana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) Thank-you! I'll be sure to check it out. :)

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...