Wednesday, 30 April 2014

The Great Unknown - Meg

How cute is this?! :)

What subjects did you take in your last year of school? What were your favourite subjects?
In my last year of high school I took Psychology, English, Politics, Media and Music. I also did an early year 12 subject in History.
My favourite subject at the time was Politics. I came out of year 12 thinking that I was going to do something with politics and perhaps Law as a profession, and so I was really surprised when Media Studies ended up being my highest study score. Although, now I feel like the scores from high school were pretty irrelevant to anything, I realise that I got that score in Media because it was second nature to me and I now wish that I had taken it more seriously and used the time a resources I had then more effectively. I most regret not fully taking interest in the few lessons that we did on black and white film cameras, which now that I really understand how cameras work, is something I would kill to do as part of school!

What did you do in your first year after leaving school?
My first year out of school was last year and I started a Bachelor of Arts degree full time without taking any kind of gap year or break.
I think this was the right choice for me, as it meant that I was doing some general kind of tertiary study and I got a head start on a year that ended up being one in which I learnt a lot about myself more than anything. I figured out through doing a lot of politics heavy study and social activity that it wasn’t exactly right, and although I am very interested in it, I am a creative person and I need to be doing something a little less conventional than law or politics.


What job do you want to be doing at the moment?   
So because I am still studying I am not working at the moment. I am trying to do little bits of casual work here and there but nothing that really pertains to a career.
I’ve really figured out that what I want to be doing in terms of work is going to be photography and media based. I would love to start working as a photographer in the next couple of years, and see where that takes me. I am open to all sorts of jobs in the industry and I would really love to work as a media advisor in politics at some point if the opportunity presents itself.

Do you have any regrets? Or any advice?
I’m not a huge regrets kind of person, but if I have to think about it, I would say I let myself get discouraged when I shouldn’t have. Because I wasn’t totally sure what I wanted to do after Uni, it made it very hard to know what I was even doing there at all. So the second semester of my first year at Uni was a time of great uncertainty and a challenge for me. My advice is to not pay too much attention to what anyone else wants you to do. You need to do what is right for you, and it’s okay not to know, it is more than okay not to know what you want to do when you are finishing high school and it’s okay to change your mind or to realise you were wrong in what you choose. If you aren’t open to the possibilities you could miss the right opportunity when it presents itself. Also, for me, I overlooked the answer that was right in front of me, so maybe the right choice really is the most obvious and the easiest one.

Thanks so much for answering my questions Meg, and being the first in my new series! I found this really interesting, and enlightening. If any of you would like to be a part of this, just leave a comment saying so below, I would really love to interview you! :)

14 comments:

  1. I love this Emma! Thanks for having me on your blog, it's super exciting :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Meg, thanks for being here! :)

      Delete
  2. This is lovely! It's great to see Meg on other blogs, and this was such a great idea Emma! :) Definitely is super exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Especially love the advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the advice too, good stuff :)

      Delete
  4. So cool of you to do this Emma. I'm loving Meg already! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Understandable, she is pretty awesome :)

      Delete
  5. This is lovely, I love getting to know new bloggers! I would absolutely love to take part if you are still looking for people. :) Maybe you could feature on my blog too some way - you could do a guest post or something!

    Sinead - sineaddreamingagain.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Sinead, that would be awesome!

      Delete
    2. Yay, cool :) I sent you a message on twitter with my e-mail - for some reason my blog one isn't working! I'm really excited for us to work with each other as your blog is one of my favourites x

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...