Sunday, 6 April 2014

The lost art of tree climbing

Hey everyone!
Do you remember climbing tree when you were little, and the feeling it gave you? Being amongst the tree tops is a truly exhilarating thing, even if the trees aren't that high.


When I was younger, I used to love this tree. It is ideal for climbing; it isn't to hard to begin climbing and it has a nice little perch at the top where you can what the people walking past on the street below. I used to go up there to think and to escape. Plus, when playing hide and seek no-one ever looks up, so it was the perfect hiding place.


The breeze is gentle today, and the leaves warm in the sunlight. Summer is giving its last gasp. Up in the trees it feels as if the world falls away beneath you. The sky is all of a sudden within reach and nothing seems quite as bad. Life almost makes sense, but thoughts that heavy feel irrelevant. Thoughts are floating clouds up here.

The art of tree climbing is lost as we grow older. I remember a time when plasters covering cuts and bruises were proudly displayed, an opener for your grand tales of adventures. That was a time when fairies hovered just out of sight and the leaves and branches on the ground were villages. When the world was bigger, yet smaller at the same time.
The magic hasn't gone though. It just needs someone to remember it for it to reappear.


 photo emma_zpsa25ad91c.png

12 comments:

  1. ah. indeed, this is a lost art.
    i've never had a tree of my own to climb, but i certainly used to love to try others. i haven't sat in a tree for a while. i recently found one i wanted to climb, but chickened out because others were watching, i was wearing a dress and i was afraid the branches might not hold, so i didn't mention it. now i kind of wish i would have.
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll get the chance again, I have to admit I'm not sure that I would have climbed up in a dress!! :) thank-you for such a lovely comment.

      Delete
    2. Hello again, i was wondering if you've ever gotten the Liebster Blog award.
      If you have or don't wish to participate, thats perfectly ok!
      have a great day :)
      ~Abigail

      Delete
    3. I have got it before, so I probably won't do it again, but thank-you for offering it to me!! :)

      Delete
  2. I love climbing trees, I used to do it a lot. We have an apple tree in my garden and it has the perfect branch for sitting on. In the summer, I sit and read there it's so lovely. xx

    www.ohpinkcandyfloss.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound lovely! I would love to do that :)

      Delete
  3. This is indeed such an under appreciated thing, there is no greater place than atop a tree!

    x leah symonne x

    itsleli.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures are really pretty and the composition is lovely!
    xxx
    www.pink-puffins.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the "childish" wonderment and curiosity that comes with things like tree-climbing. Even as a generally non religious person, I find it can be very spiritual. That being said, I've always sucked at climbing trees...maybe this is something I should figure out...
    Following on GFC and Bloglovin!

    thesarcasticwasian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only ever climb it if there are low branches to get me started, otherwise I'm hopeless!

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...