Wednesday, 21 May 2014

The Great Unknown - Leah


What subjects did you take in your last year of school? What were your favourite subjects?
I’m currently still in University, but in my last year of high school I took business, english, math, and Yearbook. Yes, working on the yearbook was actually a class which was pretty cool since I got a mark for doing little to no work, I mean *cough* lots of hard, creative endeavors.
It’s always important, I feel, to take that one class either completely unrelated to your degree, or just fun. Yearbook was that class. I’d definitely say doing the Yearbook was my favourite. I got a mark to go out, take pictures and write. It was quite a lot of fun. :)

What did you do in your first year after leaving school?
I graduated high school after the first semester, so in January, when we didn’t actually graduate until June. I went to high school in Canada, but lived in Jamaica, so during that time off I went back home until September when I had to come back for school. So I spent my time off at home, soaking up the sun before returning to the freezing tundra of Canada. It’s always great to spend time at home before moving away again.

Did you do any tertiary education? If so, what was it?
Yes, I’m currently in University and was in Journalism for first year. I’ve switched degrees now, as I’ve realized though Journalism may be something I want to pursue the program wasn’t teaching me anything about the aspects of it I enjoy. I can’t say I haven’t had those midlife crisis moments of what am I doing with my life, but presently I’m quite enjoying university and the amazing people I’ve met.

If you have had more than one job since you left school, what were they?
I don’t know if I can call what I have jobs, they are more like little hustles in my eyes. Haha, and no I haven’t done anything illegal. I had a typical summer office job after high school. I was an assistant so I made calls, typed things everyone else was too lazy, I mean busy, to type. I photocopied and sent faxes. I’m a pretty amazing photocopier if I do say so myself, but fairly terrible at faxing. For such an old machine, those little buggers are kind of complicated to figure out.
 
I am loving these stunning pictures, and isn't the red background just so good!!!
What job are you doing at the moment and what does it entail? Do you enjoy it?
I currently work on the event staff at my University, so I work all the events they have throughout the year. I don’t plan them or anything, I just work at them, and help things run as they were planned. It’s not steady work, but the event that I have done so far was a lot of fun, so I can genuinely say I enjoy that job. It’s definitely a job outside my comfort zone, but I am enjoying it. Lastly, I recently landed some freelance writing/creative work as well, which given that writing, photography and videos is a huge part of my life I think I’ll very much enjoy finally getting minimally paid to do things I’ve always enjoyed and done for free. I can always hope that, coupled with my degree will lead to bigger better things! :)

How would you rate your job in terms of energy put in, pay, work environment, and job satisfaction?
For my office job, considering I made slightly higher than minimum wage to do tasks worth less than minimum wage, I guess the pay was quite decent. I’d rate my payment a solid 9/10. Of course as an unqualified teenager, I can’t be too choosy about what I’m paid.
That was the best paying job I’ve had to date, but I genuinely hated it. I hated being in the cold, quite office all day in front of a computer screen, or telephone or photocopier doing mind numbing work. Now that I have a job where I get to meet and interact with people, go out and not sit at a desk all day along with another one writing I can genuinely say I’m happier about working. Of course what I make doing both those things combined is still less than what I made at the office job being someone’s little helper, I wouldn’t consider going back to an office job if I didn’t absolutely have to. Happiness, and mental well being should always come before money.

What job do you want to be doing at the moment?
At the moment, it’d be amazing if I found a way to be able to live by doing things I love. My writing, photography and videos. So, if there was a job that allowed me to make a living wage doing those things, it’s one I’d like!

Do you have any regrets? Or any advice?
I can’t give much advice in terms of employment, but since school is a huge part of my life right now, my advice would be to do what you love. I guess that does apply to jobs, as well as school. I know it’s superbly cliche and everyone says that but having just completed my first year I can definitely say it’s not to be taken lightly.
Unlike in high school where teachers were quite strict about getting work done, and would call home and were very persuasive and involved, in university professors aren’t quite as pushy. You have to find your own initiative to finish the work, and study. When you’re hating all your classes, or your degree or whatever it may be finding that initiative to get assignments done and study can be fairly hard to find.
I definitely regret not figuring that out earlier, and putting myself through classes I genuinely didn’t enjoy.
So, do what you love from the get go. :)

Thank-you so much for this interview Leah :) It's funny, when I began this I sort of thought that everyone would have fairly similar things to say, but what I'm finding is that everyone does have very distinct experiences and opinions, which is awesome!


7 comments:

  1. Leah!! This was so great to read. It's wonderful finding out more about a person

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great series.

    I promise Emma, I am getting onto mine. It's been a busy week! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's all good Jes, I completely understand! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for doing this Emma! <33
    (Damn the time difference, wish I'd have seen this earlier!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Leah, it was lovely to have you :)
      Yes! The time difference is so annoying!!

      Delete
  4. This series really was such a good idea, I love it a lot. have I already said that? haha

    I really want to talk about ideas like this week you come next weekend, it's going to be so good to bounce our blogging thoughts off of each other :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's gonna be great to actually chat to someone about blogging!! :)
      Sooo excited!!!!

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...