Thursday, 12 June 2014

The Great Unknown - Amy


What subjects did you take in your last year of school? What were your favourite subjects?
In my last year of school I studied English, Maths, Science, Religious studies, and French (all mandatory) then by choice I also studied Textiles, Art and Health & Social Care. Hands down Art and Textiles were my favourite subjects. I love drawing and making things. Any spare time I have these days consists of being creative!

What did you do in your first year after leaving school?
After leaving secondary school I went straight to college, I done a Diploma in Children’s care, learning and development. I loved the freedom that came along with being a college student and met one of my best friends on my course, we had so many laughs together and helped each other to get through the long essays.

Did you do any tertiary education? If so, what was it?
After college I decided not to go to university unlike most of my friends. My mind was set on going travelling, and to do that I needed money! So that made my decision easy. I got a job, saved up and I’m now counting down the days till I travel across America! 49 days to go!

If you have had more than one job since you left school, what were they?
After leaving school I got a job working in a hairdressers on a saturday. Mostly taking appointments, making cups of tea, washing and drying hair, that sort of thing. After working there for about a year I went on to get another job working in retail. Totally wasn’t for me! I was terribly slow working on the till, I always seemed to have the longest queue.
How pretty is she, and how beautiful are those tulips guys?! I wish it was spring :)

What job are you doing at the moment and what does it entail? Do you enjoy it?
Straight after leaving college I got a job working in a private day care setting as a nursery nurse. I was working with children from birth to 6 years old. After nearly 3 years there I decided I wanted a change so wrote to all the schools within my area and applied for a few upcoming posts. Luckily a nearby school took a chance on me! I’m now currently working in a nursery school as a teaching assistant. This is mostly supporting the teacher and children during learning and carrying out group activities. I do enjoy it, although I cannot wait for the day I become a housewife/ stay at home mom. (Which is a while off yet considering I’m only 21!)

What job do you want to be doing at the moment?
I am currently attending college once a week to complete a photography course. I love it and would like to see myself being a wedding photographer sometime in the distant future. But I’m not worrying about that right now, I know I’m in safe hands so will follow whatever path that has been chosen for me.

Do you have any regrets? Or any advice?
Knowing what I know now, if I could re-do my life I would not choose to go into childcare again. (Due to my health and personal issues) I can’t bring myself to say I ‘regret’ any of my decisions because throughout my life I have gotten to meet people who are my friends for life. At the time I thought childcare was the right path to take because it was sensible, there will always be jobs available. But now I realise I should have went with my heart (as cheesy as that sounds) and followed my passion (Art & Textiles) even though the outcome wouldn’t have been as clear.

Thanks so much for this interview Amy!! I found it very interesting to read about someone who is a bit further into their life, and their career. I hope that you are able to do what you want to do in the future, and that you have lots of fun getting there! :)
These posts will return to Wednesday next week, I just had a big choir competition this week. I hope your week is going swimmingly :)

2 comments:

  1. So exciting for Amy to be travelling soon! It was so good to read more about her! I am looking forward to following her journey :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having me on your blog Emma! It was great joining in on all the fun :) xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...