Thursday, 25 September 2014

Thursday's thoughts

Hello everyone,
So, I don't have a Great Unknown interview for this week, because life happened, as I'm sure you all have experienced. But anyway, here are some of my thoughts from today. :)


I have been thinking lately about how much we are influenced by the things we see around us. And how this happens, whether we realise it or not. And how even if we realise that it is happening, it is hard to change how we feel about it.

For example, since watching YouTube videos, I have found that I am now far more interested in make-up, because I see people talking about it, getting excited about it, and explaining it. They have 'romanticised' the idea of make-up for me. Interestingly, I haven't started wearing make-up on a regular basis, but I think this is because the practicality and reality of make-up is not really something that I can be bothered with everyday.

And then there is the fact that I find myself looking forward to hot chocolates and cold winters nights, and autumn leaves, despite the fact that New Zealand is going into spring, and everyone here can't wait for spring and summer. And I can't wait for summer either, it is just that sometimes I will be reading a 'sweater weather' blog post and thinking, ooh, that sounds absolutely lovely, I wish it was autumn.

Also, just all of the little things that you get to do when you are an adult. Like go away for a weekend with friends and not family, or have a house of your own to decorate, or be independent. And to be honest, I mostly don't want to leave home yet, I'm quite happy being still at home (alas, not for much longer!) but because most of the blogs that I read are written by bloggers who are older than me, I see all of this, just casually woven into their lives, and it seems so nice.

I think that is probably the thing. That all of these things seem so normal to the people who have them, they're just an ordinary part of their daily lives. And so, we must think subconsciously that ergo they should be a part of our daily lives too.




ps. I just went through and replied to all the comments on the last three posts if you were wondering if I was ever going to get around to doing that. :)

4 comments:

  1. I will say that the first two years of living on my own were amazing and insane and a bit terrifying all at the same time! It helped that I lived on the campus of my university with roommates, so we still had some help with things like not having an entire home to care for, no yardwork, no cooking (for the first year only), and no other bills to pay except the university's bill. But once I finally began living in an apartment/flat, and later a house, it has been GREAT! We decorate how we want, create beautiful spaces, hang artwork, and make everything awesome : )

    I loved living with my family when I was a kid, especially because I was home-schooled and really enjoyed it, but living on my own with my husband and daughter now is just the best! It's been so much fun creating our own home together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so the same when it comes to makeup and youtube, I never wore it in high school and since I have just really come to enjoy it, and feel a little naked without it. Which probably isn't good!

    It is kind of exciting to read about others people's lives and want what they have because it is refreshingly different, but it is also nice to a take a moment to appreciate what we have that we really like.
    I'm excited to live out of home and decorate a house but at the moment I am super grateful that I can live at home while I study :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very much the same here, Emma. Bloggers and Youtubers have really encouraged me to get out there and travel. Do greater things, find nicer places and wish I resided anywhere else but here. A lot of them are adults and I'm a few years away from being one, but it seems like an eternity away. Sometimes I do want to be older, too, so I can experience all that for myself. As with make-up, I legitimately cannot be bothered haha! I'm turning 16 and am one of the few people who are inept at it, at my age. I think there's nothing wrong with it, whether we care about make-up or not. Let's wear our bare-faced pride together :)
    The world is ever-evolving and so are we. Our exposure does shape who we are, what we think and what we want to be. I think it's quite beneficial for whatever we let stream in, but now that I've stopped and thought about it - you're also right about how majorly it influences us. Thanks for the food for thought x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny isn't it. I feel so connected with the blogs I read and the bloggers who write them, so much so that yes I do compare my lives to theirs and sometimes I feel inadequate if my blog or life doesn't match up. It's a silly thing really when there are probably others who look at us and think 'wow, doesn't she have it all!'. Living my comparison is not fair on ourselves, as long as we are happy and content then that is all that matters.

    Don't compare your first chapter to someone else's middle. Our time will come x

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...