Thursday, 27 November 2014

DIY Advent Calendar - Part 1

Hello again!

Advent calendars are arguably my favourite part of Christmas. I love opening the little windows each day, and the surprise of what waits inside. But I would have to say that I'm not a huge fan of the store-bought ones with the cheap chocolate.

 photo DIYAdventCalendar_zps52d5512e.jpg
  
This year I spied a similar one to this at a christmas market, but it was overpriced, and I thought that I could easily make one. So I decided to make one for my younger brother, and I thought I would share it with you guys, because it is surprisingly easy. He gets back from school camp the day before the 1st, so I'm going to have it all hanging up when he gets back, which will be a fun surprise. :)

Anyway, here goes!


1. Gather your materials. You will need:
- twenty five pieces of square paper
- a roll of ribbon (I found 3m to be perfect)
- a gold pen (or any colour really)
- a stapler

NB: Steps 2-6 show how to make an origami cup, so if you already know how to do this, just skip on ahead!


2. Take a piece of paper and fold it in half diagonally. It doesn't matter if it isn't completely perfect, so long as it is close enough. 
NB; The most important thing when making the cups is to score your folds with the back of your fingernail, or something else. It will make the cup neat and help it to stay in shape.


3. Fold one corner diagonally across so that it touches the other side and the top is straight, as shown in the picture.


4. Do the same with the other corner.

5. Fold one of the flap at the top down, remembering to score your fold.

6. Turn the paper over and do the same on the other side. And now you have a paper cup! Yay! :)

7. Repeat steps 2-6 for the remaining 24 pieces of paper. Bonus; by the time you make this many cups you will have probably memorised how to make them!
8. Number the cups from 1-25.

9. Staple the cups to the ribbon. I found that the best way to do this was one staple in each corner.

10. And there we go! All that is left to do now is put little treats in the calendar. In part 2 I'm going to list some awesome, and perhaps slightly more unusual things to put in your advent calendar. :)

I am starting to get super excited for Christmas now that exams are over. I'm one of those people that loves Christmas, and I don't see anything wrong with getting into it whenever you feel like it. It's making you happy, after all. 


ps. the comments on my last post were like big hugs from you guys. I'm fairly sure my replies don't do them justice.

14 comments:

  1. This is so cute Emma and I really love how you've incorporated some origami into it. I like the prints and patterns of the paper you used. And allow me to tell you how sweet and awesome it is for you to do this for your brother.

    -Anne's Scribbles and Doodles-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne :) I am a big fan of origami, I seem to incorporate it into most crafty things that I do!!!

      Delete
  2. This is so cool Emma! You are so good when it comes to crafty stuff!
    And your photography in this post is professional :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg, it means a lot that you say the photography looks professional, because I put quite a bit of effort into going for that look!

      Delete
  3. This is a gorgeous DIY! A couple of years ago I got little paper bags and put freddo frogs in them but we all ate them within a week! Hehe, oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds cute too, I have to say that I'm such a stickler for rules/traditions that there is no way I could eat them all at once!

      Delete
  4. This is amazing, Emma!

    Looking at the first picture I thought there was no way I could do this (I am not very creative like this) but you make it sound so easy. I might have to try next year. :)

    Thanks for sharing. Such a great idea, and I have to agree with Meg. Your photographs look brill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally do it Jes!!! It makes such a special gift. And it is super easy. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow Emma this looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a neat DIY Emma! I remember as a kid how thrilling advent calendars were. Getting a little chocolate to reward us for our patience was the best thing at the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Advent calendars made December the best month of the year for me as a child, as you say, there really is something quite thrilling about them!!!

      Delete
  7. this is sooo lovely and a wonderful idea. i just love doing little crafty things like this. all the different colors look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abigail, you should totally post about crafty things you do too, I would love to see that :)

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...