Thursday, 6 November 2014

Into The Great Unknown

So.
Yesterday was my last day of school. Ever.

And that is scary and exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. I truly am venturing into the great unknown.

This year has been one of the best years yet. I have grown so much, and learnt so much.
I have come to terms with the idea of having many good friends, rather than a few best friends. I have done things I would never have dreamt of when I began school, like perform in a musical and travel to a big city & meet people from the Internet! I have learnt to relax, and be calmer. To work hard when it really matters in school, but to prioritise other parts of my life when it didn't matter quite so much. I was a part of a choir that rehearsed for 14 hours a week (at one point) in preparation for our time at the prestigious National Big Sing competition earlier this year. I have had my first boyfriend, my first kiss, my first break-up, and (unrelated) my first pair of converse. I have loved having free periods, and the freedom that year 13 brings, being at the top of the school. I have posted on this blog (semi) regularly, managing to always post at least four posts a month. I have read 56 books and counting. I have laughed, and cried, but mostly laughed, and made some of the best new friends.

And so next year I am doing something that excites me so, so much. Something that Meg, Jes and Sam encouraged me to do when we met. Something that feels like the opposite to the doctor I always thought I would become, because that is what both my parents do. Something that, because of my upbringing and parents, I never considered to be a possibility until these last few years. Something that, annoyingly, I won't need the Calculus, Physics and Chemistry I took this year in anticipation of a science degree.

Next year I am going to Wellington to study a Bachelor of Arts majoring in English Literature and German. (I'm excited just typing it!!!)
The Wellington waterfront (on a very good day, I'll admit)

When I was choosing my subjects, and what to do next year, I sometimes got confused between whether I should do what I love or what I'm good at. Because people told me to do both, often implying that they are the same thing.
But they weren't the same thing for me. For example, this year my favourite subject was English, but I was better at History.

Here's the thing though. Ok, so maybe my natural talent for History is slightly better than it is for English. But in the long run, what you do well in isn't just about talent. It's about passion and talent. A combination of the two. If you don't love something, you won't be motivated to do it, and you won't do as well. You need a driving passion to motivate yourself to continue at something for long enough to master it.
So, my advice, if I were to answer my own last question of the interview. Do what you love, because if you aren't already good at it, you soon will be. :)

Megan Beth KernaghanSamantha HeatherAnneLeahSineadJesAmyAbigailJessiJessLissaKristinaRajrupaClick here

All these wonderful women you see here helped me realise my dreams for next year, and so go ahead and click on their faces to see what they had to say about their adventure into the great unknown.


To be honest, at the moment I am feeling rather strange.
Finishing school is something that is sinking in over time for me, and it doesn't feel entirely finished yet, because I still have my end of year exams before I am completely free.

But this morning I woke up and realised I didn't have to go to school, and then I realised that I would never have to again.
And it just felt unreal.

Everything that I have known has just ended. But I feel as if my life is only just about to begin. :)



18 comments:

  1. I AM SO EXCITED!!!! I have been thinking about the all week and looking forward to hearing what you choose! I am so happy for you and excited for all the fun times you'll have and amazing things you'll learn :) And mostly I'm a little bit proud, this is your journey and I've seen you grow so much and I kind of loved tagging along through this little Internet thing. I love you Emma! And I feel so privledged to have been confided in :)

    Look out Wellington! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you for being excited for me Meg!! You know what one of the best things about Wellington is? It is a direct flight to Melbourne! :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! And much luck for your future endeavors! Can't wait to read about your adventures in the next realm of your life : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyssa! I'm sure there will be lots happening on here next year, I can't wait to document everything. :)

      Delete
  3. Em!

    I am so, so proud of you and so happy for you. I remember when I completed high school I was so over the moon and a little bit scared if I am being honest because I didn't know where I would end up in the "real world", but to be fair, it's safe to say I haven't really entered the "real world" until I finish University and/or move out in my own house, paying my own bills.

    Thank you for being such a great, inspiring person in my life Em. Please come back to Melbourne soon so we can meet with you again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so awesome Jes. Your support has been great, and I have to say that listening to everyone's stories has made the whole thing seem slightly less daunting. :)

      Delete
  4. Awh congratulations on finishing! I remember finishing school myself way back in 2010 (I'm so old) it is so weird and unbelievable that you won't be going to school ever again. Its very overwhelming. I remember taking off my uniform for the last time and being like...I will never ever wear a uniform again. So weird! But university is all ahead of you now and I am so jealous (finished that this year) I hope you love uni and the subjects you chose. It is very different to school so don't worry if it takes some time to get used to! I did arts with English and geography so half the same as you :) best of luck xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sinead! It's weird but kind of cool that I'm starting uni as you are finishing. :)

      Delete
  5. oh my goodness, congratulations, girl!!! i just love love love what you wrote. it's just sooo perfect. all those wonderful firsts and goals and thoughts on being finished.
    i wish you the best life, ever.
    also, thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful series. it has been a joy and a pleasure to follow along with the goings on here and i love you for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abigail! And thanks for appreciating the way I wrote this, it was a lot of fun to write.
      You are such an awesome person, it has been wonderful getting to know you. :)

      Delete
  6. This is so very heartwarming! School brings about more than just the educational experience, it brings wonderful friends and opportunities and all new things. You must feel so rejuvenated to know that all your hard work has paid off and only more great endeavours await. Can I just say, your perspective is so fresh and righteous - especially on your elaboration about passions; doing what you love is often debated but I think you've said what needs to be said. I've always wanted to pursue writing and you've made me consider it more.
    Also I love that comparison collage to death, and an absolute yay for 2014 being a year of firsts! I can very much say the same, as I relate with your sense of accomplishment. But perhaps not to such a scale, I have much to learn and you make me intrigued to do so with time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has got to be one of the longest comments I've ever received Rachel! I think you would make an awesome writer, you should definitely consider it more. :) I don't think I can reply to everything you said, but let me just send you a virtual hug for saying it, you are such a wonderful human being. :)

      Delete
  7. Emma! This made me tear up. I am so so proud of you for everything you've accomplished this year and will accomplish in the future. Meeting you was so special this year and I'm so glad us girls could encourage you to pursue your dreams and take that leap of faith.

    You've got more bravery than a lot of people I know.

    Here's to the new year! It's going to be amazing I just know it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sam! You're too lovely. You've got me tearing up now too! I can't wait for this new year, I think it's going to be great for all of us. :)

      Delete
  8. yes, it's a strange and wonderful feeling when something ends but I'm sure you'll find new adventures in Wellington. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissa! It really is a strange feeling. :)

      Delete
  9. As they say, it's never the end but rather a beginning. The closing of one chapter leads to a new one. Congrats Emma and this was a really awesome series! I'm happy to have been part of it. I feel so proud for all your achievements. I really wish we can meet someday. I have a strong feeling we will. *wink* Thank you for being one of my good blogger friends and cyber chummies. You have no idea how greatly you've inspired me. Cheers to a new adventure Emma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best Anne. We will meet someday, somehow. We'll make it happen. :)

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...