Wednesday, 14 January 2015

18 observations for 18 years

Today, I am 18.

My day; the walk to work, presents!!, and dinner with lovely people :)


In New Zealand, that means I am an adult. I can now drink and do whatever really, there are no more things that I am too young for in the eyes of the law.

And it is an odd feeling, because I don't feel 18 at all.

When I was little, it seemed like 18 was a far off age that I would never reach. But I thought that when I did eventually reach it, I would know a lot by then.

I don't feel as if I know a lot. I am still ignorant about a lot of things. But I have learnt some things in my 18 years, and I am not as ignorant as I used to be. Especially in this past year, my 18th year, I feel as if I have learnt so much. Because I am a firm believer in the idea that “that’s your responsibility as a person, as a human being — to constantly be updating your positions on as many things as possible.” -Malcolm Gladwell

Anyway, here are 18 things I have learned over my 18 years.
  1. Having a good night's sleep is more important than you think, and you will always feel better in the morning.
  2. Listen to the music that you love, because life is too short to base what you listen to off what other people consider 'good music.'
  3. Read. Read all the books.
  4. Being a little bit (or a lot) weird beats being normal every time.
  5. Dress how you want to, dress for yourself, and you will feel so much more comfortable and confident.
  6. Faking it till you make it when you're nervous about talking to someone or trying something new really does work.
  7. Exercise really isn't that bad. Go for a walk, do some yoga, dance, but do something, and you will feel so much better and more productive.
  8. Hugs are the best. Always go for the hug. :)
  9. Look for the good in people. It is always there.
  10. But, there are some people you just don't need in your life.
  11. Following on, not everyone is going to like you. That doesn't matter.
  12. Dance till your feet ache, and laugh till your face won't stop smiling, because you can.
  13. It's ok to make mistakes, to compare yourself to others, to accidentally be prejudiced towards something, so long as you recognise the mistake and learn from it.
  14. The people in your life, the ones you are close to, they love you, they really do. Don't doubt that.
  15. School is not more important than your mental health.
  16. You can do it. You can. And saying that you can will help too. Think positive thoughts.
  17. Nothing lasts, not the good things or the bad, but especially not the bad. All you have to do is remember that when the going gets tough. You will make it through.
  18. It's ok to be you, unapologetically.







Ps. This is last year's birthday post, if you're curious. :)

11 comments:

  1. I already said this but I will say it again: Happy 18th Birthday Em!

    I really do hope you had a fantastic day, you deserve it. And here is to many more years to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Emma this was such a lovely read! Happy 18th birthday! All these learnings are amazing and great. I happen to love the "hugging" part as I love giving and getting hugs. I hope I can give you one personally someday but for now I'm sending my *cyber hugs*. Oh and sleep, yes you never really get to appreciate it as a kid right? It's quite funny actually. I hope you enjoy your day and have all the fun you need. I wish you all the best and that all your wishes come true!

    PS: I sent in a little email containing the rest of my birthday wishes for you.

    Lovelots,
    Anne ♥
    www.annescribblesanddoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that one day we can hug in real life too. :)
      ps. that email was very cool.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday Emma! xxx Apologies for the tardy wish, but I do hope you got spoilt rotten :D
    This was so refreshing to read. I had a post like this and practically racked my brains; I think yours effortlessly encapsulated what life is about. Amen to living this life for ourselves, and living positively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, and that's fine, it just makes my birthday last longer!!! It's funny that you think this was effortless, it took me quite a while to think of 18 things to say!

      Delete
  4. I live for these birthday post list things! :D
    You are so wise, I swear I wasn't this wise at 18, I'm probably still not haha
    9 and 10 are very reflective, and accurate.
    Have a beautiful year, it's going to be a good one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's going to be a great one!!! :)

      Delete
  5. oh Emma, happiest birthday to you!! i turned 18 at the end of december so i connect very deeply with what you've written here. i don't feel old, but sometimes i do. here's to being 18. may it be our best year yet. and that list? so. spot. on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abigail :) and that is exactly me. Sometimes I feel like I am nowhere near 18, and then at other times I do.

      Delete
  6. I loved this post :) except I read your first one and I decided to check the time and just realised that I have to be up in six hours for school..oh well I guess. I hope you had a good birthday!:)x
    Libby-Jade

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...