Monday, 17 August 2015

Grown-up vs. adult (day 7)

Salutations!

I have been thinking quite a bit recently about the concept of adulthood, now that I am an adult in the eyes of the law. At the moment I am both a teenager and an adult, and really, teenager is probably the label that suits me the most.

I also started thinking about the difference between grown-up and adult, despite not really feeling like either of them, and I came to this conclusion.

Grown-up is the word you use when you are a child, and adulthood seems like a far-away idea that won't happen to you. Grown-up is for people who have grown up (yes, obvious I know), people with experience and knowledge that comes from existing in the world for years. Grown-up is the word used by those who are least grown-up to describe those that are. Grown-up is almost more childish than adult, even though it describes to me a person more mature. Grown-up is whimsical and almost unattainable, because the idea only really exists when looking from the outside in. Once you are a grown-up, you don't feel like one.

Adult is more clinical, more technical. Adult is for people who have responsibility, people who pay tax, people who don't have someone else telling them how to live their life. Adult is the word used in contrast to child and legally to describe anyone over 18. Feeling like an adult gradually creeps up on you, as you realise how much more you control everything in your life.

Grown-up and adult are almost synonymous, yet also not at the same time. The difference is in the memories attached to them.

What do adult and grown-up mean to you guys?


Also, I can't quite believe that I managed to post everyday this week. I certainly won't be able to keep it up, but it has definitely reminded me how much I love blogging.


4 comments:

  1. ah that sunset picture!! Simply stunning.
    Very thoughtful words, though i might say, do any of us really ever feel 'grown up'? Do we ever feel as though we've arrived? To be 18 is rad, to be an adult sounds to clinical. Lets be responsible adults, but never really grow up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abigail! Indeed, I like the idea of being a responsible adult but never really growing up. :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely love that picture. I'm pretty sure I felt exactly the same way 5/6 years ago when I was in your shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Just letting you know I nominated you for the versatile blogger award. Click on this link to my blog to see what you need to do :)
    http://rosieauthorwriting.blogspot.co.nz/2015/10/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...